Hard at work
writing goals playing Balderdash.
We’re home from a wonderful visit with family, just in time to set my goals for 2011! We prepared for the visit by watching old family videos, talking about aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins, and describing how the flight would go. I did not meet my goal of setting up an airport security play station, but Johnny did fine on the flight without it – hooray!!! Having my brother and sister along for the flight there and my sister along for the flight home made a huge difference, especially since it meant we had at least one adult per child! We carried on car seats for Emma and Johnny, and as much work as it was to haul the car seats through the airport, it made keeping the kids in their seats much easier. I think it also gave them a greater sense of security. Lily’s stroller made a good car seat transporter, and I took her through the airport in our ERGO carrier. In the past, I’ve been allowed to take her through security in the carrier; this time they made me take her out. I’m not sure if that’s because she’s no longer a small baby, or due to new regulations. I was extremely grateful to the Salt Lake Airport for providing a family security lane – in Boston we kept getting cut in front of by people traveling on their own who were frustrated by how long we were taking. As far as reaching other goals, I got our house mostly organized before leaving on the trip, and we donated four large bags of outgrown clothing. And we had a fantastic time seeing family! We are slowly adjusting to life without twenty extra people around all the time. Traveling with little ones is challenging, but I am so grateful to have been able to make the trip! Emma and Johnny played with aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins, and Lily took care of her baby cousins! Lily was especially fond of her newborn cousin, and she gave my new mom sister lots of advice. I enjoyed seeing Johnny’s excitement over snowball fights, Emma’s careful artistry decorating gingerbread houses, and Lily’s excitement over real live babies! And we are all celebrating my brother getting engaged!!! Time to start planning and saving for another cross-country trip, to the wedding in Arizona come April!
We enjoyed the month of December before we left, also. Johnny had his first two speech therapy sessions through the school system in our town, and he enjoyed both sessions. He is lucky enough to share his speech therapy classes with a good friend! The kids also enjoyed Johnny’s birthday party, decorating gingerbread houses, our Christmas tree, and making beautiful advent cards and Christmas wreaths. We all learned about statistics, and I am thrilled to report that Emma is still loving her coat!
For 2011, I’m keeping the areas I worked on in 2010, but I’ve decided to rename charity as generosity, since I feel that it more accurately portrays what I’m working towards. So here are the areas for 2011:
- Health: Helping my family eat well and getting the exercise we all need to be happy.
- Peace: Limiting conflicts, disagreements, and meltdowns – and managing them well when they do occur.
- Education: Identifying my children’s interests and using these interests to teach them. Challenging myself to learn new things too, and to use the talents I already have.
- Gratitude: Teaching my children (and myself) to appreciate what we have rather than focusing on what we want.
- Generosity: Loving, sharing, and giving to others.
Goals for January:
- Get the kids outside as much as possible in the cold weather. Target area: health
- Get the kids back on their 7/7:30pm bedtime. Target area: health and peace
- Investigate class options for Emma and possibly Johnny. I’m thinking dance, music, gymnastics, or possibly art. Any thoughts or recommendations? Target areas: health and education
- Write thank you notes for gifts. Target areas: gratitude and education
- Get more child participation in my quest for a clean and tidy house – suggestions of how to do this effectively are much appreciated! Target areas: peace, gratitude, and education
What are your goals?
This linky list is now closed.
Happy New Year!!!