I always feel like my babies graduate from the newborn phase at around seven weeks. Lily turns seven weeks old today, so today I’m in a reflective mood. A few thoughts from the first seven weeks with three children under four:
- Going with the flow is the surest path to happiness for children and parents.
- My children are happiest when I only schedule one outing (e.g., grocery shopping, story time at the library, play date, doctor visit, etc) per day.
- Outings are simplest in the morning, before the time when my children should be (but usually are not) napping.
- Non-naps can be a good thing when they result in earlier bedtimes.
- Beautiful fall weather is a blessing.
- Emma has grown into the capable role of the big sister – but she’s still only three and a half years old.
- Johnny has moved from being jealous of me holding Lily because he wants to be held to being jealous of me holding Lily because he wants to hold Lily.
- Baby smiles are the best.
- Children grow up way too fast.