Snow Play! Share your fun learning, too!

Playing in the snow

Monday the snow was finally packable, and the kids were thrilled to spend the afternoon playing outside. I went out with them, and we spent a few hours together in perfect snow-play temperatures – barely above freezing!

building a snowman

Johnny’s preschool teachers gave him this snowman kit at Christmas, and he has been waiting all winter to use it!

proud of their finished snowman

They were all immensely proud of their finished snowman! We took a picture (which I need to print and send in to Johnny’s teachers).

building a snow castle

Then we moved on to a snow fort – or snow castle, as the kids called it. We all worked together and built a pretty large structure:

snow castle

The next morning we woke up to eerie fog, and rapidly-melting snow. Lily and Johnny still enjoyed playing in it:

kids playing in the snow

The kids thought I should include a video clip, so here it is! It was vetted by all three kids, so even though Lily says “don’t take my picture yet” she was fine with video!

There’s new snow falling as I type – hopefully we’ll get enough to play in!

learning laboratory at mama smiles
What fun and creative learning is happening in your home? Do you have snow? Last week readers shared favourite websites for young children, beautiful fairy habitats, a Florida-friendly snowman experiment, a neat way to get kids thinking about where food comes from, and an awesome protect the house experiment that I definitely plan to do with my kids!

Comments

1. says

It’s amazing how different our weather is in the same state! Our snow was all gone by Monday. The kids had fun sledding that weekend but when they woke up on Monday, there was nothing left. That kit is a great gift!

• maryanne says

How strange! My sister is only 40 minutes away or so, and even she often has completely different weather from us, though.

The snowman kit is awesome! I was so impressed when he got it at their winter party. Johnny has amazing teachers! =)

2. says

When I saw the snowman I thought “how picture perfect” and then when you said it was a snowman kit I thought “how cool and clever”. If we lived in snow I am sure my kids would use all my nice stuff to make a fancy snowman.

Your backyard is huge, looks so perfect for energetic kids. I am sure if my kids saw that fort they would be all kinds of jealous.

3. says

Believe it or not we haven’t had enough snow in Chicago to even make a snowman this year! But I am not complaining! :D

Loved the video!

• maryanne says

After all the snow we had last year, the light snow this year has been a relief! It was nice for the kids to get a snowman, though =)

4. says

LUV LUV LUV LUV the pictures of the kids having such amazing good times. You’ve really captured the joy! (Sitting here in southern FL at the moment — air conditioning on ‘high’ I’m glad that I have those memories stored in my heart, from earlier adventures!)

Debbie
    RainbowsWithinReach

So glad to have had the opportunity to link-up!!

5. says

Your children are so exceptionally cute!!! Beautiful pictures, love the video, and I think it is so nice you are going to give a snowman pic to your son’s teacher – how thoughtful!

Thanks for taking the time to comment!