I’ve been using cloth diapers since Emma was nine or ten months old, and and after four kids and six years’ worth of experimentation I’ve finally found a solution that works really well for us – day and night! After trying nearly every kind of cloth diaper available (pockets, all-in-ones, prefolds, flats, velcro, snaps) and every material apart from wool (irritates my skin, so I’m loathe to try it on my babies) here’s what works for me:
- Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap covers. These neither leak nor blow out on me. You have to buy two different sizes, but if you do you’re set from birth to potty training.
- OsoCozyBirdseye Flat Unbleached Diapers. These are a great size, soft, and very absorbent – and they wash up great. They will shrink down to a slightly rectangular fold after washing (just because all fabric shrinks more in one direction than the other, and these are, apparently, not pre-shrunk), but I actually find that the rectangular shape works well for me – I use the origami fold.
- Cloth wipes – I make my own, and have a cloth baby wipes tutorial on this blog
- California Baby Diaper Area Wash.
- Kitchen-size trash can
- Two Kissa’s Pail Liners – although I saw a Kanga Care Wet Bag at a friend’s house and loved that that design didn’t require a trash can, even – just something to hang the wet bag from (she had hers attached to her changing table).
- Two diaper-bag-sized wet bags. I have a Smitten Baby Wet Tote that a friend gave me that works beautifully!
Covers go into regular laundry, and the flats and wipes go into a dry bin (in the pail liner). The pail liner goes into the washer along with the flats, everything is rinsed cold, washed hot, and then dried. I wash my diapers using Country Save Laundry Detergent along with a few drops of tea tree oil. Then diapers get line dried in good weather (provided I’m organized enough), or they go into the dryer.
Both of my cloth diapering sisters use these same Thirsties covers, although one of my sisters uses prefolds instead of flats inside the covers.
Do you use cloth diapers? What works best for you?